You guys, this Among Us costume DIY nearly killed us. And by us, I should say my husband.
These delightfully fun Among Us Crew DIY costumes were made for Halloween 2020. You remember, back when we were locked down – or at least most of us. We wanted a fun costumes for boys that they would like and could wear a mask under if needed.
Among Us Halloween Costume
Our boys had requested NOTHING while locked down in 2020 – so a homemade Among Us costume is something I knew we could do. 3 boys, and 3 DIY Among Us costumes later – we lived to tell about it and let me tell you this. These crewmate costumes turned out amazing!
Fast forward to 2021, Squid Game costumes are all the rage – but I have to say after we enjoyed these homemade Among Us costumes, we hung one of the crewmate heads on the wall as decoration in our boy’s room.
Among Us on Zoom
Needless to say, my kids love them. So much so, for virtual school – here’s my kid – wearing him Among Us costume while on a Zoom call.
Among Us Costume DIY
Let me just say that there are other ways to make this costume. I’ll include a few ideas that I’ve found below, but I do have to say these costumes came out legit.
There are 10 different colors of Among Us characters – with 3 boys, we had them each choose a character color that we could find both FELT and a shirt that matched. So, aqua was out.
We ended up with red, black and blue Among Us costumes. Whatever we end up doing, won’t be traditional. One of our boys is autistic with SPD – sensitive to certain things, so we always try accommodate.
This costume we are pairing with jeans (let’s face it, they will come downstairs in shorts.) All that said, despite this massive Among Us mask thing – the costume is somewhat comfortable.
In this tutorial, I am showing you how to make 1 Among Us costume. We made 3 in 3 different colors. It's the same process for each - with the exception of sizing. Here is a general how to. This project can take you an hour or it could take you 10 hours. My husband made 75% of the Among Us costumes, so needless to say - it took more time but they look awesome as well.
- 1.5 Yards of Felt
- T-Shirt (same color as felt)
- 3 Cardboard Boxes (1 box for the mask, 1 for the backpack and another to use cardboard strips for the backpack)
- Mesh Plastic Canvas (We found at Walmart in the embroidery/crochet department)
- Acrylic Paint (white, blue, light blue)
- Hot Glue (we used a LOT of hot glue sticks - at least 25!)
- Hot Glue Gun
- GOOD Scissors
- Electric Tape
- Box Cutter
- Paint Brush
- Determine the size of the mask. This will vary depending on the size of the individual wearing the costume. We have 3 boys, 3 different sizes - each was different.
- Cut the box to fit the mask.
- With the box on the costume wearer's head - determine what area is best for the Among Us face. We marked about an inch above the eyes to an inch below the mouth and used that as our guide.
- Cover the box with felt. You can do this many ways, we used hot glue - lots of it. Fingers were burned, and if we were making another Among Us costume, I would try spray adhesive instead. Be as neat or as un-neat as you see fit. Mine look a lot messier than my husband who is the perfectionist. Also, mine took half the time to make.
- Cut an oval hole in the box for the mask. We used a box cutter for this. Be careful and don't cut yourself! Keep the cardboard cut out.
- Using the cut out as a guesstimate / template - cut the plastic mesh LARGER than the cut out. This will be glued inside the mask so you will want it larger than the hole in the cardboard.
- Now, let's use the plastic mesh, paint the Among Us face. Here is how I painted the face. From a distance, it looks great, just like the Among Us character's face. Make sure to let the paint dry!
- After the paint is dried, take the painted face and glue it inside of the Among Us mask.
- Using the electric tape, go around the edges of the face hole and trim out where the felt and cardboard are to create an outline of the mask.
- Let's make the backpack. Cover the cardboard box with felt.
- Using the extra cardboard box, determine the length that is best for the backpack straps. This will vary per person, so measure wisely.
- Cut the cardboard approximately 1.5 inches wide to however long you need.
- Cover the backpack straps with felt. We cut long strips a little larger than the cardboard and hot glued the strips to the felt.
- Last, we cut slits into the box to hold the backpack straps and hot gluing to ensure that they are secure.
- Time to gear up and find the Impostor. You may want to cut the felt for the Among Us mask. We let our costumes just hang and cut slits so the boys can still use their arms.
And there is your how to create an Among Us costume guide. Reading this, it makes it sound simple. While it is not complicated, it did take a LOT of time - especially for my perfectionist husband!
You can adapt this costume by using poster board.
So you want to be the Impostor, you say? For an Among Us Impostor costume, just add a knife to our Among Us crewmate costume.
Check out the Impostor costume ideas below for some more clever ideas.
This adorable girly Impostor costume is a mask with a knife – add in a cute dress, and you are ready to roll.
Here is another Impostor costume idea. Super simple, but fun! Just a little SUS.
More Among Us Costume Ideas
Here are some more ideas for Among Us costume ideas.
Modify Money Heist Costume
If you are looking for a simple Among Us cosplay costume, this money heist costume is a great base. Just create a simple mask but this outfit would work perfect and comes in various colors.
Hoodie with Mask
This is a an easy Among Us costume using a hoodie.
Simply wear a hoodie the color of an Among Us character and cut out a mask for the hoodie head hole. via Reddit
Among Us Costume Video Tutorial
Here is the video that our Among Us costume is based off of.
We skipped and changed a few things as we were making our costumes, but this is a great overview with measurements on how to make the best costume via DIYholic.
Well there you have it! As soon as I can get the teen to get off his computer I’ll snap a photo of our boys dressed in their Among Us costumes.
Halloween Costumes for 2020
Funny, last year I was writing a Trick or Treat guide – and now this year, I am telling you to play it safe. However you celebrate Halloween 2020, be smart and stay well. While we have no idea what we will be doing, I do know this – these costumes are something the boys will remember!
Each year we do try to dress up and typically it ends up as DIY Halloween Costumes. Here are a few costumes from the past few years.
Bob Ross and Happy Tree Couple Costume
Last year, we were Bob Ross and a Happy Tree. Check out this DIY couple costume.
Nerd Costumes – this made a great last minute costume idea for our daughter
How to Make an Among Us Costume is part of the Digital Mom Blog Halloween series