Do you work remotely? We are celebrating work from home week with a variety of topics centered around the remote worker. Bonus: we’ve partnered with Logitech to offer an amazing work from home giveaway, stay tuned.
How Many People Work From Home?
Why a series on working from home? I personally have been a remote worker for the last 15+ years.
When I became a mom, I wanted to work but be able to spend time with my family. I made it happen, but if I wasn’t a remote worker our family life would look a lot different.
So… how many people work from home?
43 percent of employed Americans say they spent at least some time working remotely. That stat is from early 2017, so I can only imagine it’s increased since.
Moms Working From Home
As mentioned, I started to work remotely when I became a mom. I know from my circle of moms, working from home is a critical benefit that they are looking for when they are looking for a job. If not working from home – flexibility is a must for working moms.
Best Work From Home Components
Here are 3 best work from home components for establishing a successful work from home relationship for both the employee – employer.
As someone who managed several remote workers, I can say that one critical factor is being able to trust your employees. Trusting that you employees are doing their jobs, regardless if they are a mom, dad or whatever – is the most important quality in the manager – employee relationship.
Gaining trust of your employer is a must to have a successful work from home job. To gain that trust, it means that if your kid is sick and you haven’t finished a project, you are working at night or early in the morning to get it done.
As much as an employee needs to gain trust, a manager or supervisor (or executive) MUST give trust. I totally understand the reluctancy of having remote workers. That said, you have to give trust until it’s broken and then immediately address the situation.
In addition to the giving trust and gaining trust aspect of working from home – communication is key for remote workers. Find a communication style that works best for your team and hold everyone accountable to communicating well.
Work from Home Week
This week, Digital Mom Blog along with Logitech and several other companies are celebrating work from home week. There are so many benefits for both companies and remote workers, we are taking this week to look at various aspects of that work from home life.
Here are the topics we are covering on Digital Mom Blog:
- Work from Home Memes
- Work From Home Tips for Parents
- Tech for Your Home Office
- Dreamy Home Office Ideas
Why Companies Should Consider Work from Home Employees
These stats and infographic from Logitech features several great reasons why every employer / companies should consider work from home employees. This is a definite share if your employer is dragging their feet with allowing remote workers.
WFM = work from home
WFH Benefits to Employees
- Two-thirds of people want to work from home.
- 80% of employees consider telework a job perk.
- 36% would choose working from home over a pay raise.
- Almost half of employees feel their commute is getting worse.
- Over two-thirds of employers report increased productivity among their telecommuters.
WFH Benefits to Employers
- 97% of employers say telework has a high impact on employee retention.
- Average real estate savings with full-time teleworkers is $10,000 per employee per year.
- Expand the talent pool, more than 40% of employers are feeling the labor pinch.
Benefits to Our People and Planet
- By eliminating their daily commute, employees saved an average of 90 minutes per day.
- Creating an emissions savings of 60,389 kg CO2
- That’s the carbon savings equivalent of driving 150,000 miles or 6+ times the circumference of the Earth.
Work From Home Necessities
- High speed internet
- Collaboration software
- External webcam and headset for video calls
- Laptop, external monitor, keyboard and mouse
Check out these tips for successfully working from home.
Work from Home Week Giveaway
We are excited to partner with Logitech in giving away this amazing Work from Home week package of tech goodies. Check out these amazing giveaways that Logitech will be giving to a Digital Mom Blog reader.
Do You Work Remotely?
Tell us, do you work remotely?