Are you looking to buy your child a tablet? Or are you considering buying yourself a tablet and letting your kids use it?
Each year we put together a list of best kids tablets – but in this article we are specifically looking at the Apple iPad vs Fire tablet.
iPad vs Fire Tablet
When looking for a tablet for your kids, 2 immediate contenders may come to mind: the Apple iPad and the Amazon Kindle Fire.
After researching and owning both the iPad and Fire Kids edition, here are the pros and the cons of each. These are things to consider when deciding on whether to buy the iPad vs Fire Kids.
This post “Which tablet should I buy my kid?” was originally written in 2011.
We are looking at the Apple iPad vs Fire HD. Apple versus Amazon tablets – here are the specs for each.
The Apple iPad is the end-all-be-all to tablets. With the simple design and intuitive user interface, your children will be able to easily figure out how to work their way around the iPads OS.
- Thousands upon thousands of applications for both fun and education
- Easy to use interface
- Several iPad cases for kids available to protect your device
- Price – even if you were to buy a refurbished 1st generation iPad, you will be spending over $300
- Size – the iPads are quite large, which could be a disadvantage to small hands carrying around
Amazon Fire Kids Tablet
The Amazon Fire Kids Tablet is a popular affordable tablet for kids.
Read our Amazon Kids Tablet Review for specifics. In regards to iPad vs Fire Kids here is what you should know.
Fire Kids Pros:
- The Amazon Kids Tablet starts at $99 for the entry level Fire 8 edition and up to $199 for the premium Fire HD 10 kids edition.
- Apps are available via the Amazon app store
- The Kindle Fire’s size fits perfectly in the hands of kiddos.
- Easy access to Amazon – great for streaming movies
- 2 year warranty – great for kids that drop tablets!
- Tablet case is included with the purchase.
Fire Kids Cons:
- The Amazon Kids Fire does not have near the quality of apps that is available to the Apple iPad
- Not as many cases or covers that can protect the fire like there are for the Apple iPad
- No 3G access (there is wifi – but you have to provide your own connection)
If price is a factor – the Amazon Fire Kids edition tablet is a great alternative to the Apple iPad.
Mom to 4 kids, Molly Thornberg aka Digital Mom is the blogger-in-chief here at digitalmomblog.com. She likes to keep it real, overshares on her personal Insta-stories, tries her best to show grace and always appreciates a funny meme. Molly appreciates the unique things in life, and is a Ennegagram 7w8.