“I want a Pete the Cat Valentine’s Box.” These are the words that my sweet first grader told me.
This stressed mom was at her wits end. We were living in a hotel because of our home experienced a flood of the toilet kind, making our home unlivable. As if that wasn’t enough, my husband was a week away from going thru colon removal surgery. All is well now, but I have been meaning to blog about this Valentine’s card box – as you can see – mama has been busy with life.
So a mom on a mission, who was loaded with guilt – did her best to make her son a holder for cards that resembled a Pete the Cat Valentine’s box.
Pete the Cat Valentine’s Bag Not a Box
As I was searching for a box for the Valentine’s cards to be held in, I learned that the task called for a BAG! Okay, actually this was so much easier. This project all starts with a medium blue gift bag.
I made a frantic rush to Walmart and this is what I came up with.
Not bad, especially when you are crafting in a hotel room with all of your typical craft supplies – SOMEWHERE in your house. Fortunately, I found a few of the crafty things at the house and was able to bring this little bag to the hotel. It’s laughable… NOW.
Let’s Make a Pete Bag!
Looking for a fun Vday card bag holder idea for your kids Valentine's day class party? We have created numerous classroom Valentine's day bags - but this Pete the Cat Valentine's bag is my favorite.
This project was made in a hotel room! YES, a hotel room! Hence, the lovely photograph of the Pete bag on the hotel room bathroom counter. If I can make this with minimal supplies and did I also mention I made this in a hotel room on February 13th? If I can do this, you can do this vday craft too!
- Blue Medium Size Gift Bag
- Blue Poster Board
- Yellow Poster Board
- Red Poster Board
- White Poster Board
- Green Poster Board
- Thick Sharpie Marker
- Hot Glue Gun
- To make Pete the Cat, you will want to make sure your blue gift bag matches as close as possible to the blue gift bag.
- First you will want to start cutting. Remember, I was in a hotel and free-handing this the night before Valentine's day! Use this Pete photo as a simple template for his head and eyes.
- Hint - you will want to make a long neck for Pete. This will be glued inside of the valentine's day bag. You can use the bag's handle to help support his head.
- You can use the bag as the body. If your blue's do not match to your satisfaction, you can cut out a body and then use that as a base to glue Pete's parts on to.Cut arms out of the blue poster board.
- For whiskers, I used black poster board, but you could use pipe cleaners.
- You will want to draw shoe laces with the black sharpie onto his shoes and glue the shoes underneath the bag. If your kids like Pete's red shoes, make the shoes red. Make this project your own!
- Free hand cut your child's name for the heart - OR print out your child's name in a fun thick font. Then, cut out the letters and place on the bag.
Make the Pete the Cat Vday bag your own!
The key is, like all DIY projects – do it your own way! Just use this as a guide.
I should note, that my Zeke LOVED his Pete the Cat bag! It worked out perfect, held up well!
The bag lasted us a few months until an unnamed kid loaded it down with books and it ripped. RIP.
If you have a kid who LOVES Pete the Cat, make sure you check out our Pete the Cat Gift Ideas.
Don’t miss all of our Valentine’s Day fun!
Content creator, lover of sweet wine and tacos and mom to 4 kids. Molly appreciates the unique things in life, is a Ennegagram 7w8 and has been blogging here at Digital Mom Blog for a very long time (10 years!)