By: Posted on Published:
Post may contain affiliate links that help support Digital Mom Blog.
Which should you buy – the Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite? Here is a comparison review of both consoles. What you need to know before you buy. Let’s make the buying process for this video game console.
Here is what we will be discussing:
- Nintendo has 2 consoles.
- Comparison review to help you decide between the Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite.
- Price points for both the Switch and Switch Lite.
- Frequently asked questions about both Nintendo consoles.
- Things you need to know before purchasing a Switch.
Hot Christmas Gift Item
It’s the holiday season and Christmas gift buying is in full swing! The Nintendo Switch is a HOT Christmas gift item .Maybe one of your kids has a Nintendo Switch on their Christmas list. But there are 2 kinds of Nintendo Switch consoles – which do you buy, the Switch or the Switch Lite?
Fear not! Here is a Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite comparison review. Let’s look at both Nintendo consoles and learn which features what, what is the same, what is different, how much each costs and more.
First up, let’s chat about the Nintendo Switch. Here is what you need to know about the popular Nintendo video game console.
- Nintendo Switch launched on March 3, 2017.
- Retail price $299 for Nintendo Switch.
- The Nintendo Switch comes with 32 gb internal storage. 25.9 gb is user-accessible. This can be expanded up to 2 TB using a microSD, a microSDHC or a microSDXC card.
- 6.2 inches monitor on the Nintendo Switch Lite.
- 3.5 mm headphone jack is included with the Switch Console. While Bluetooth wireless headphones are not supported, you can use a Bluetooth adapter connected to the headphone jack.
- The original Nintendo Switch weighs 297g.
- Battery life on the Nintendo Switch is estimated to be between 4.5 and 9 hours, depending on the video game being used. (The first edition of the Switch’s battery was 2.5- 6.5 hours.)
Nintendo Switch Lite
Here is what you need to know about the Nintendo Switch Lite.
- The Nintendo Switch Lite was released on July 10, 2019.
- Retail price $199 for Nintendo Switch Lite.
- The Switch Lite is a portable gaming device. Unlike the Nintendo Switch, the Lite does not allow television play.
- With a smaller design, the Nintendo Switch offers is more comfortable and easier to use as a portable device than the original Switch.
- 5.5 inches monitor on the Switch Lite.
- Limited to handheld games – Switch Lite you are limited to games labeled handheld.
- Switch Lite does not come with HD Rumble or an IR Motion Camera.
- The Nintendo Switch Lite integrates the Joy-Con into the main body. A regular directional pad replaces the four directional buttons on the integrated left Joy-Con.
- Choose your Switch Lite color: coral, yellow, turquoise or gray.
- The Switch Lite is lighter than the Switch – weighting 275g.
- Battery life on the Nintendo Switch Life is estimated to be between 3-7 hours, depending on the video game being used. The Lite uses a more power-efficient chipset, the 16-nanometer Tegra X1+, to extend the estimated battery life.
Switch vs Switch Lite – Which Nintendo to Buy
So now that you’ve gotten the review of both Nintendo consoles, which should you purchase? Here is a quick comparison of the biggest differences:
- $299 retail price
- Hybrid play
- All games available
- 4.5-9 hours battery life
- More gameplay options
- 6.2 inch monitor
Nintendo Switch Lite
- $199 retail price
- Portable play only
- Limited to handheld games
- 3-7 hours battery life
- Lighter and smaller
- 5.5 inch monitor
Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite Comparison FAQ
Frequently asked questions to know about when deciding between the Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite consoles.
How Many Nintendo Switch Consoles Have Been Sold?
As of September 2020, the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite have sold more than 68 million units worldwide.
What are the best Nintendo Switch games?
The most popular, best Nintendo Switch games are: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokémon Sword and Shield, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Each of these Switch games have sold over fifteen million units each.
Best is subjective (our kids LOVE Zelda, Mario Kart and Smash Brothers!)
Which Nintendo Switch is New?
The Nintendo Switch Lite is the newer version. While cheaper, the Switch Lite does come with less features.
How Many Joy-Con Connections Can a Switch Console Support?
A single Switch console can support up to eight Joy-Con connections.
Can I use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller With the Nintendo Switch Lite?
YES! The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller with the Nintendo Switch Lite – but do know it is a separate purchase.
What Nintendo Switch is Better?
Well, better is another subjective question! Whether you buy the Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite – both at the core are great consoles. Of course, for more bang – you pay more buck. The original Nintendo Switch console gives you the TV and portable options – as well as the
When Does the Nintendo Switch 2 Release?
Rumor is that a Nintendo Switch 2 will release in 2021. Keyword? RUMOR!
How Are Original Nintendo Switch Consoles Different than Newer Consoles?
If you are buying a used or refurbished Nintendo Switch device – here is something that you need to know! Switch consoles manufactured after August 2019 feature chips made on the 16nm process. These newer chips improve battery life and performance.
Decisions, decisions! Both the Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite are great gaming devices that you and/or your kids will love!
We hope this review of the Switch and the Switch Lite consoles clarifies which video gaming console is the best purchase for you.