Speech therapy apps – helping your littles with their speech via an app is a great way to learn thru play. Learning thru play is something we have really strived to do with our kids.
When our older kids were little, iPads and technology really weren’t a thing. Their learning thru play occurred with Leap Frog toys and Baby Einstein. Our younger two kids are all about iPads and electronics, so when it became apparent that they both needed speech therapy, in additional to working with a speech therapist – we incorporated app play.
Best Speech Therapy Apps
These apps are not meant to replace speech therapy by any means, but act as another encourager and teach as your child learns to pronounce sounds correctly.
First on our list of Speech Therapy Apps for Kids is the Articulation Station speech app. This speech therapy app offers 6 engaging articulation activities. The app is free to download and offers the “P” sound program for free. You will need to purchase the other sound programs.
The Articulation Station app offers practice at the word, phrase, sentence and story levels in one app. These activities encourage your kid to love practicing their sounds and hopefully forget that they are actually working, not playing!
Here are some features. Something to note, this is a pricey app if you purchase all downloads – though it does gets excellent reviews.
- Quick tips for teaching each sound
- 20 target words per sound position (initial, medial, final)
- Beautiful high quality images
- Create custom word lists
- Shuffle multiple sounds
- Flashcard activity
- Matching activity
- Rotating Sentences (like carrier phrases)
- Unique Sentences
- Level 1 stories with picture prompts and comprehension questions
- Level 2 stories with comprehension questions
- In depth Scoring and data tracking for each child/student
- Student profiles
- Group sessions (Up to 6 students at one time!)
- Voice recording and playback feature for monitoring responses
- Save audio recordings
- Backup and restore your data
Elmo Loves ABCs
While the Elmo Loves ABCs app is not your standard speech therapy app, is does work with your children on articulation and it features a fun lovable character that your child probably already knows… ELMO!
The Elmo Loves ABCs app features songs, videos, games and more all about letters!
• Slide, sweep, swipe, touch, trace and dig to discover over eighty classic Sesame Street clips, seventy five Sesame Street coloring pages, and four different ways to play hide and seek!
• Touch and trace your favorite letter to unlock its surprises.
• Tap on the star button to discover even more letter activities.
• Personalize by adding your own photos and videos to the game.
• ABCs tracker for grown-ups to see how your child is doing.
• Ability to purchase even more great letter content and holiday surprises.
What Your Child Will Learn:
• Letter identification (uppercase and lowercase)
• Letter sounds
• Letter tracing
• Art and creativity
• Music appreciation
Elmo Loves ABCs App Tips:
• If you wish to personalize Elmo Loves ABCs by adding your own content, remember to complete all the fields: name, recording, photo, and video! If you do not have all four, your content will not appear in the game.
• Your videos must be in “Photos” (your device’s photo library) on your iPad or they will not be accessible by the game.
• To upload video into the “Photos” folder using iTunes, connect your device and click on the “Photos” tab. Click on the “sync photos from” box, and use the drop down menu to choose the folder that your videos are in. Make sure that you have the “include videos” box checked before you sync. If you are using a Mac, you may also use iPhoto to sync your videos under the pictures tab. Again, just make sure you have the “include videos” box checked.
Kids Vocabulary, Grammar and Language Learning Games App
Another Speech Therapy Apps for Kids to check out is the Kids Vocabulary, Grammar and Language Learning Games App. This app was developed to help your child get ready for school with fun language development learning and educational games for kids via an app.
• Cross-curricular game-based learning program in Math, Science, Literacy, Language and more
• Self-adjusting levels of difficulty
• Unique progress tracker to follow your child’s progress across apps and devices
• Detailed success stats
• Recommended learning path personalized for each child
• Add up to 4 children per account
• Over 200 fun rewards to motivate your child to continue his/her learning experience
• Designed with educational and child development experts
• No third party advertising
Phonics Studio App
Phonics Studio app is a free app that provides over 2,500 flashcards to help kids pronounce more than 200 sounds. Your child selects a letter from the alphabet than a sound. Each has a collection of flashcards. Your child can practice by listening and then recording their voice saying the sounds.
● The app comes loaded with over 2,500 gorgeous flashcards
● Phonic sounds are grouped by letter into 200+ unique sound groups
● Consistent number of phonic words within each sound group
● Beautiful high quality images
● Supports In-depth scoring and user tracking
● Ability to track unlimited number of users
● Ability to email detailed summary reports
● Stores students progress, including their audio so you can clearly hear progress over time
● The app is beautifully designed which makes it great for kids of all ages and all abilities
● This app is FULLY customizable to your students needs
● Can even add own cards, categories, sound groups and more…
Speech Therapy Tool Kit
Last on our list of Speech Therapy Apps for Kids is The Speech Therapy Tool Kit app. It was created by a licensed SLP and offers nine great tools for parents, teachers and therapists.
This app is free to download, but does offer in-app purchases for full capability. Here is what is included in the Speech Therapy Tool Kit app:
- Milo’s Sticker Chart is great for rewarding children. There are a lot of cute stickers for your child to choose from. You can have a sticker chart for as many children as you like.
- The Coloring Book is good fun for any child. You can color on the iPad or print it out and color the old fashioned way.
- Therapy Ideas is new and improved. We have 130 ideas for activities focused on speech and language, and we continue to add more. We have the ideas broken into ‘general’, ‘articulation’, ‘language’, and ‘videos’.
- Articulation Tool – popular articulation images, there are approximately 1400 images.
- Tracking Tools: goal tracker, therapy notes to keep daily SOAP notes, attendance tracker, IEP calendar
- Age Calculator
Which of the Speech Therapy Apps for Kids is your favorite? Leave us a comment below!
Here are some more posts from Digital Mom Blog that you may enjoy: