Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe for the Instant Pot – This meal is a kid-favorite recipe, something my family grew up making. If you are looking for a quick and easy hardy meal that the family will love (and that freezes well!) – look no further.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Instant Pot Recipe
It’s that time again. Time for an easy family meal Instant Pot recipe. This meal was a recipe that I grew up eating and we’ve been making for the kids since they were little. I’ve adapted it for the Instant Pot. How popular is this meal with our family? Last week, the very HUNGRY 13-year-old boy that lives upstairs came down from his teen-cave and declared he wanted Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole for dinner. I declared that I would show him how to make it, and that he could then make it for the family.
That’s how easy it is to make people. If I can teach my 13-year-old son, who I love dearly – but could careless about cooking to make this – you TOO can do this.
Easy Instant Pot Casserole Recipe
I mentioned above, but will state here again – this makes an awesome freezer meal. We have also made this many times for pot-lucks and big family dinners when everyone gets together. Okay, well enough chit-chat, let’s make this. Here is the BEST Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Instant Pot Recipe!
Best Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Instant Pot Recipe
Chicken Broccoli Rice casserole is a classic family meal. We’re sharing how to make this deliciousness in the Instant Pot! Also keep reading to learn how to easily modify this casserole recipe to your family’s liking.
- 1 24 oz Cream of Chicken
- 2-4 Chicken Thighs or Chicken Breasts (depending on how much chicken and what type of chicken you prefer!)
- 1 16 oz Rice (we prefer Medium Grain Rice)
- 1 8 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 bags Frozen Broccoli Cuts
- 1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream ((optional – can easily use sour cream or milk as a substitute!))
- 4.5 cups Water
- 2 tspn Minced Garlic ((optional – can easily use powder garlic or no garlic!))
- Salt ((to your liking))
- Pepper ((to your liking))
- Butter ((used for buttering the casserole dish))
- Place chicken, rice, broccoli, garlic into the Instant Pot.
- Add water on top of the chicken broccoli rice casserole ingredients.
- Salt and pepper the Instant Pot recipe contents to your liking. I add quite a bit of salt and pepper to add flavor.
- Set Instant Pot to RICE. If your pressure cooker does not give you this option, it is typically 12 minutes if you use the manual setting.
- Let the Instant Pot do it’s thing. While the ingredients will be cooked after the 12 minute rice setting, I typically let the Instant Pot natural release or at least wait 5-10 minutes to release.
- Open the Instant Pot lid (carefully!) Place the remaining ingredients of cream of chicken soup, whipping cream and cheese into your IP. Stir so the ingredients mesh.
- Butter your casserole dish. I typically use a 9×12 dish.
- Place the mixed chicken broccoli rice casserole ingredients from the Instant Pot into the buttered casserole dish. Top casserole with cheese.
- Cook in oven for 15 minutes on 350 degrees. This will melt the cheese and solidify the casserole into a delicious yummy family meal!
- Enjoy! This is a great way to sneak greens into your kids meal!
Make It Faster!
While the Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Instant Pot Recipe above is for a casserole, here’s a tip if you are low on time and lets you make it faster. Rather than putting in a casserole dish – add a little more cheese (or not, whatever you like!) and just serve out of the Instant Pot without making it into an actual casserole. This is just as good and when the kids are HANGRY and NEED FOR IMMEDIATELY IN THEIR MOUTHS, this is what we do. Though, I do prefer this meal cooked a little longer in the oven as a casserole. Sometimes a mom just has to do what a mom has to do to feed her kids.
There are many ways to adapt this casserole dish. The beautiful thing, chicken broccoli rice casserole can be adapted many ways. While the above instant pot recipe is what we typically make, if we are eating for the second time in 2 weeks – I typically adapt this dish to be a little different. Here are a few ideas for recipe modifications. The best modification is the one that makes this family recipe your own!
- Use cream of celery or cream of mushroom in addition to, or in substitution of cream of chicken soup.
- Use fresh broccoli instead of frozen broccoli.
- To make this keto friendly, make this dish without rice and eat with cauliflower broccoli!
- Don’t have heavy whipping cream? No worries! Add in sour cream, buttermilk or milk instead.
- Throw in some frozen chopped onions.
- Top the Chicken Broccoli Rice casserole with bread crumbs.
- Make this dish without chicken, or with turkey instead of chicken. (This meal works great with Thanksgiving turkey leftovers!)
Full Belly = Happy Family
I hope our BEST Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Instant Pot Recipe is as big of a hit with your family as it is with ours! Happy Instant Potting!
Psst. I bought myself a new gift – another Instant Pot!
f you haven’t seen the new Instant Pot Plus Duo 8 qt, check this out. When feeding 4 kids (and 2 adults and 2 dogs) the 8 quart is so worth it.