Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Generation was announced today, and we couldn’t be more excited. We are super fans of the Amazon Alexa technology and pre-ordered the first generation of the dot. With this 2nd generation, Amazon has cut the price in half and added even more to this little smart device.
Amazon Echo Dot Second Generation ReviewWhat is the Amazon Echo Dot Second Generation?
The Amazon Echo Dot is a hands-free, voice-controlled device that uses Alexa to play music, control smart home devices, provide information, read the news, set alarms, and more. We use the smart alarm as an alarm clock now for our kids.
Seems like Amazon has stopped selling the first generation Echo Dot.
Here’s what else you should know:
- Connects to speakers or headphones through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable. You can play music from Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn
- Most noteworthy, Amazon Dot controls lights, fans, switches, thermostats, garage doors, sprinklers, and more! The Dot is compatible with connected devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, ecobee, and others
- Amazon Echo Dot hears you from across the room with 7 far-field microphones or hands-free control, even in noisy environments or while playing music
- Includes a built-in speaker. Use this as a smart alarm clock in the bedroom, an assistant in the kitchen, or anywhere you might want a voice-controlled computer
- Always getting smarter and adding new features, plus thousands of skills like Uber, Domino’s. OH and most noteworthy – this thing has JOKES, yes ask Alexa about it.
- It’s only $49.99 – you can buy the Amazon Dot now – also enter for your chance to win one down below!
How does Amazon Echo Dot work?
Next, let’s talk about how the Amazon Echo Dot works. Get this. It has an array of seven microphones that use beam-forming technology and enhanced noise cancellation. The all-new Echo Dot has a more powerful processor and an improved wake-word performance to hear you ask a question from any directioneven in noisy environments or while playing music.
To use Echo Dot, you simply say the “wake word”, “ALEXA” – yes, all caps because it’s usually my kids SCREAMING at her. The Dot lights up and streams the audio to the cloud. The Alexa Voice Service is then used to recognize and respond to your request instantly. Every morning I scream “ALEXA, PLAY PANDORA” – that’s how we start the day.