By: Posted on Published:
Post may contain affiliate links that help support Digital Mom Blog.
Screen times for kids – how much screen time should a kid have? That’s one of the most asked questions we get. Our stance is whatever is best for your child. It takes testing and honestly, like all things in parenting – every child is different. That’s our opinion – the American Academy of Pediatrics has their own recommendations and they were just updated.
Screen Time for Kids
Here’s a recap of what the American Academy of Pediatrics is recommending for kids and screen time:
- For children younger than 18 months, avoid use of screen media other than video-chatting. Parents of children 18 to 24 months of age who want to introduce digital media should choose high-quality programming, and watch it with their children to help them understand what they’re seeing.
- For children ages 2 to 5 years, limit screen use to 1 hour per day of high-quality programs. Parents should co-view media with children to help them understand what they are seeing and apply it to the world around them.
- For children ages 6 and older, place consistent limits on the time spent using media, and the types of media, and make sure media does not take the place of adequate sleep, physical activity and other behaviors essential to health.
- Designate media-free times together, such as dinner or driving, as well as media-free locations at home, such as bedrooms.
- Have ongoing communication about online citizenship and safety, including treating others with respect online and offline.
Each of our 4 kids is in school. We cut off the internet at 6:30 pm for our younger kids (5 and 6-years old) and 8:00pm for our older kids (11 and 13-years old.) On the weekends, it’s 10:00 pm for our younger kids and midnight for our older kids.
Managing Screen Time
We manage screen time with Circle by Disney. Circle works like a charm.
Watch for a full review soon, but do have to say – being able to pause the internet for the whole house and been a beautiful thing (for me, the kids – NOT so much!)
Read more on Screen Time
How do YOU manage screen time with your kids?
Mom to 4 kids, Molly Thornberg aka Digital Mom is the blogger-in-chief here at digitalmomblog.com. She likes to keep it real, overshares on her personal Insta-stories, tries her best to show grace and always appreciates a funny meme. Molly appreciates the unique things in life, and is a Ennegagram 7w8.