By: Posted on Published:
Post may contain affiliate links that help support Digital Mom Blog.
With kid #1 and kid #2, the first few months were spent holed up in the bedroom watching mindless TV in a sleepless induced trance. I jokingly told my husband a few months ago, PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW ME TO GET HOOKED ON SOAPS AGAIN when the baby arrives.
Well here we are. Bambino has arrived. Our bedroom looks like a make-shift nursery with pack and play, swing and boppy laying next to me. I refuse to give into you mindless afternoon television. I watched enough stupid court television in the hospital last week – to know that this is not how I will be spending the next several weeks off from work.
Seth Godin *cue music that signifies AWESOMENESS* wrote a fabulous post on “But it’s better than TV”. I am so glad I found this. Here are Seth’s suggestions on what to do, rather than tuning in:
- Run a little store on eBay
- Write a daily blog
- Write a novel
- Start an online community about your favorite passion
- Go to meetups in your town
- Volunteer to tutor a kid, in person or online
- Learn a new language, verbal or programming
- Write hand written thank you notes each evening to people who helped you out or did a good job
- Produce small films and publish them online
- Listen to the one thousand most important operas
- Read a book or two every evening
- Play a game of Scrabble with your family
None of them are perfect. Each of them are better than TV.
It’s only the 2nd week of maternity leave, but I want to make sure when I’m not bonding and spending time with baby that the time is spent well.
- I’ve committed to blogging regularly
- Bargain Mama will come out of her sabatical
- I’ve created a list of new blogs to tune into with various interests, not just work-related
- I plan on learning Magento and Buddy Press – I can’t let my geek skills die out while I’m off of work!
- I’ve volunteered for the web team at church
- I WILL finish these 2 books sitting on my nightstand
- Rather than Scrabble – i’ll play Words With Friends with my family and friends (but not over-do it. 10 games maximum open at once!)
- I’ll schedule time to catch up with my stay at home friends
- I’ve cracked out the camera and plan to capture as many moments as I can with this little fellow before he grows up!
But most important I plan on spending time with this little heart melter and my other 2 lovies. It’s weird but wonderful being able to set new priorities in my life outside of the rat race and the daily grind of work. As much as I have a passion for my career, I must make sure my priorities are in order, mindless daytime television not being one of them!
RANDOM FACT: Judge Judy’s salary is $45 million a year. Maybe rather than watching her, I should figure out how to become her. $45 million… wowzerz.
Read Zeke’s Birth Story
Mom to 4 kids, Molly Thornberg aka Digital Mom is the blogger-in-chief here at digitalmomblog.com. She likes to keep it real, overshares on her personal Insta-stories, tries her best to show grace and always appreciates a funny meme. Molly appreciates the unique things in life, and is a Ennegagram 7w8.