SO yesterday we talked about the new Samsung Galaxy S10 series – and today, we are talking Samsung Galaxy fold – Yes, a Samsung folding phone. It’s a smartphone that folds like a book – but it’s oh so much more.
There’s a lot to this story and even more developing – but here is what we know about this foldable smartphone.
Meet the Samsung Galaxy Fold – a Foldable Smartphone
On Wednesday, Samsung Electronics introduced a look into their latest product line and a glimpse of the Samsung Galaxy Fold. The Galaxy X Foldable is officially named the Galaxy Fold – breaking away from the typical Galaxy number system. The Galaxy Fold is the newest innovation by Samsung – as they attempt to reinvent the smartphone. Breaking the traditional look and feel – the Galaxy Fold offers something old but new.
The Galaxy Fold is part smart flip phone and part tablet. A hybrid that will definitely have us pondering if this is how the future of smartphones will be. Let’s look at what we know about this product, so far.
This is the headline – and I think this elevator pitch for the Fold pretty much sums up how Samsung wants you to view this potentially revolutionary product.
The world’s first Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex Display, endless multitasking possibilities and our most versatile camera yet – in one breakthrough device
Galaxy Fold Promo Video
I’ll give it to Samsung, they really did an amazing job with the Galaxy Fold promo video! From the music to the intriguing look into what could be with this device.
How Big is the Galaxy Fold?
Since this is a foldable smartphone – folded, the Galaxy Fold looks like 2 smartphones stacked together. The front screen is 4.6-inches. The real magic is when you unfold the Samsung Galaxy Fold – revealing a 7.3-inch Infinity Flex Display with 1536 x 2152 pixel resolution. In comparison, the iPad Mini screen was 7.9-inches.
What is the Galaxy Fold Price?
Get ready, big spenders – the Galaxy Fold price will be $1980. Yes, I repeat – $1980. This phone will cost you more than a new computer. I’m not sure what this says about computers, but I do know that this technology is pricey!
Tell Me the Galaxy Fold Specs?
Let’s look at the tech specs for the Galaxy Fold. Samsung did not skim on this device.
|Display||Main display: 7.3” QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED (4.2:3)|
Cover display: 4.6” HD+ Super AMOLED (21:9)
* Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners
|Camera||Cover camera||10MP Selfie Camera, F2.2|
|Rear triple camera||16MP Ultra Wide Camera, F2.2|
12MP Wide-angle Camera, Dual Pixel AF, OIS, F1.5/F2.4
12MP Telephoto Camera, PDAF, OIS, F2.4, 2X optical zoom
|Front dual camera||10MP Selfie Camera, F2.2|
8MP RGB Depth Camera, F1.9
|AP||7nm 64-bit Octa-core processor|
|Memory||12GB RAM (LPDDR4x), 512GB (UFS3.0)|
*User memory is less than the total memory due to storage of the operating system and software used to operate the device features. Actual user memory will vary depending on the operator and may change after software upgrades are performed.*No MicroSD slot
Fast Charging compatible on wired and wireless
Wired charging compatible with QC2.0 and AFC
Wireless charging compatible with WPC and PMA
* 4,380mAh (typical) refers to the typical value of the battery capacity as tested under third-party lab conditions. Typical value is the estimated average value considering the deviation in battery capacity among the battery samples. Rated (minimum) capacity is 4,275mAh. Actual battery life may vary depending on network environment, usage patterns and other factors.
|OS||Android 9.0 (Pie)|
*All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice.
1 Model and color availability may vary depending on country or carrier.
2 Samsung DeX Accessories sold separately.
What Can The Foldable Smartphone Do?
The idea behind this foldable smartphone is that you can use the front like you typically use a phone – but rather some of the things you would use a tablet for – you can just unfold your phone revealing a mini tablet. Samsung has built in the capability to allow you to multitask up to three apps at a time. You can also do things, like continue you what you were doing on the front screen – in the larger unfolded screen.
Samsung even admits – it’s not completely sure of how the consumer will use this but there are infinite possibilities! This product has the ability to offer us a whole new experience in regards to how we use our phones.
More advantages of this folding phone ->
- Multi-Active Window: The possibilities are virtually endless with Galaxy Fold – designed for the ultimate multitasker. You can open up to three active apps simultaneously on the main display so you can surf, text, work, watch and share without losing a beat.
- App Continuity: Make intuitive, seamless transitions between the cover and the main displays. As Galaxy Fold opens and closes, apps will automatically show up where you leave off. When you’re ready to take a photo, make in-depth edits, or have a closer look at the feed, open the display for a big screen and fuller canvas.
What is the Galaxy Fold Release Date?
When we get an exact release date for the Galaxy Fold – we will update here. As of the Samsung announcement on February 20, 2019 – we are told that the Galaxy Fold will be available in the second quarter of 2019.
More on the Folding Smartphone
Here’s more from Samsung in regards to their new phone.
- New Display Materials: The internal screen does not merely bend. It folds. Folding is a more intuitive motion, and a more difficult innovation to deliver. Samsung invented a new polymer layer and created a display around 50 percent thinner than the typical smartphone display. The new material makes Galaxy Fold flexible and tough, built to last.
- New Hinging Mechanism: Galaxy Fold opens smoothly and naturally, like a book, and closes flat and compact with a satisfying click. To achieve this, Samsung engineered a sophisticated hinge with multiple interlocking gears. This system is housed in a hidden enclosure for a seamless and elegant look.
- New Design Elements: From the screen to the housing, to every element you can see and touch – Samsung left no stone unturned. The fingerprint scanner is found on the side where the thumb naturally rests, so the device unlocks easily. Two batteries and the components are evenly distributed so Galaxy Fold feels balanced in your hands. Colors with unique finishing—Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green and Astro Blue1—and the engraved hinge with Samsung logo complete its elegant fit and finish.
Digital Mom’s Opinion
If you are an early adopter, then this is the smartphone with your name on it. For me, a mom of 4 – yeah, not really in my budget to splurge on this – but it does look really cool.
Disclaimer – Samsung did not show the actual phone at their sneak peek event. Rumors are swirling that the technology isn’t quite there or that this phone isn’t actually ready for production. More on this as details emerge.
More on the new Samsung Folding Phone ->