Nap desks – that just sounds dreamy, right? Let’s chat. Remember a few years ago when we all heard how we shouldn’t be sitting is bad for hours on end and that we should adapt to things like walking desks? Remember? So do we. We get it. Sitting for 10 hours a day isn’t good for you. But guess what else isn’t good for you? Sleeping 5 hours at night or working for those 10 hours non-stop.
Nap Desks – Let’s Make This Happen!
Introducing this product design from Studio NL. It’s a desk, no it’s not JUST a desk – it’s a NAP DESK!
From first glance, it this looks just like an ordinary desk, right? Sneaky, it also turns into a nap pod.
So while the idea of sleeping at work may sound, I don’t know – lazy, there is actually a lot of benefits to power naps. If you are interested in learning about how to perfect your power nap, check out these tips for power naps.
Tips for Power Naps
- Turn off your mobile phone and any other distractions (so that TV in the nap desk isn’t a great idea.)
- Headphones with relaxing music.
- Wear sunglasses or use an eye mask to simulate darkness.
- Caffeine before your nap to improve your performance and will lessen how sleepy you are when you wake up.
- Set an alarm to go off in 15-20 minutes, because it’s a power nap – not a full sleep!
- Don’t sleep more than 30 minutes!
- Follow your nap up with a physical activity.
- Wash your face and expose yourself to bright light.
infographic via: YLM Sports Science
So, who’s in? Who would take advantage of a nap desk? Personally, the design could be better. The open concept isn’t great, especially as many offices are more open and less office now a days. That said, we sure hope more employers open their minds to power napping at work. That little sleep can create a big jolt in productivity and energy!
Boss isn’t buying the nap desk idea? Maybe you can talk her (or him) into one of these: