What does social media in 2009 look like? My career is in social media. I live it and I breathe it. Today, I had the privilege to attend Lifeworks Seminar 2.0 with Randy Elrod and Spence Smith. You can never learn enough. And in this I did learn quite a bit or reheard things I needed to hear.
The Lifework Seminar is a great foundational seminar talking thru all things social media. It serviced the novices to the experts with topics ranging from purchasing a domain name, blogging, setting up web hosting, the various blogging platforms, blogging, content, SEO, Twitter, email marketing and web marketing.
Here are a few major take-aways about social media in 2009:
Social Media in 2009
Mommy Bloggers have POWER.
I know this, but not enough people do. Moms are women. Women are connectors. Moms love to connect with other Moms. Women make 80% of the purchasing decisions in a household. Are you seeing the connection here? Good. 🙂
Don’t use emails to sale. Use them to create a conversation. Let the conversations sale.
The team I lead is guilty of this. We’re asking for forgiveness and moving on. We are rethinking our email strategy, like we rethought our permission marketing philosophy last year.
There was debate in the office on putting a line on all emails stating “DO NOT REPLY”. I personally was totally against it. Our users would rather reply via email then have to pick up a phone and ask. Customer Service wanted to stop all of the people replying. We’re going to find a way to encourage replies – create conversation and by doing so will increase brand exposure and sales.
A few 2009 social media stats.
- 100,000,000 number of YouTube Videos viewed per day
- 3,600,000,000 Number of Flickr Photos
- 1382% monthly growth rate of Twitter users from January to February 2009 per month
- 5,000,000 Number of minutes spent of Facebook each day
- 5,000,000 Number of active Barack Obama supporters across networks
- 14,200,000 Obama YES WE CAN video views on You Tube
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the 8th most populated in the world just ahead of Japan
- 93% of social media users believe a company should have a social media presence
SEO SEO SEO SEO SEO it’s SEXY
There is SO much to this subject. Check out Get to the Top of Google by David Viney.
If you are wanting to jump into the game, definitely check out the Lifework Seminar. As for me, I have a list of action items for both personal and professional that i’m jumping on!