LEGO just released a new app - LEGO Life App - that works like a social network for kids - they are calling it a "social themed app that inspires kids to create and share, all within a safe environment." Yeah, I know - before you get all antsy in your pantsy about the words - social network for kids. Keep reading, we will talk about: what is LEGO Life, why my kid would want to use it, how it works, LEGO's philosophy on digital safety and more.
LEGO Life App Review
As mentioned LEGO Life is a social themed app for kids - with a focus on an a safe environment. It's FREE to use. This kids app is really geared towards the LEGO fan.
Here are the main features on why your little LEGO fan would love this app:
- Build, capture and share images of personal creations with the LEGO community or like, comment on and be inspired by those other fans have uploaded.
- Develop creative and build skills by completing fun daily challenges.
- Stay up to date with favorite characters from series including LEGO® Star Wars, LEGO® Friends, LEGO® NEXO KNIGHTS, LEGO® City, LEGO® Ninjago and LEGO Elves.
- Choose from a range of LEGO videos to watch and catch-up on including the LEGO Batman Movie trailer.
Online Safety Within the App
Told you this was made for the LEGO fan! Okay, I know what you are thinking - this is GREAT and all - but what about safety.
LEGO calls out the words SAFE USER EXPERIENCE, this was obviously something heavily thought through before they launched this app - which I'm so glad they are thinking like this! We need more companies to put an emphasis on engaging our kids in a safe manner online.
Here is what the LEGO Group is doing to promote online safety in the LEGO Life app:
- Providing users with a display name to protect identity.
- Moderating all user comments.
- Prohibiting direct chat; and
- Rejecting any images that contain revealing or personal information.
What Photos Are Approved In LEGO Life?
Here are LEGOs rules for getting photos approved. That's right, LEGO is approving each photo.
Photos must be:
- Age appropriate
- Don't show real people - only take photos of your LEGO people! (No selfies with your kids LEGO build!)
- Must be LEGO related
- Don't link to other websites
LEGO Safety Pledge:
Here is LEGO's safety pledge (read more here)
The LEGO® Group recognizes the unique challenges when developing web content for young audiences and the importance of properly protecting children when online. Therefore, the LEGO® Group follows the strictest policies for safeguarding your childs online privacy, while simultaneously ensuring a respectful and responsible use of marketing. We have also developed, and continue to develop, our own stringent code of conduct. In addition to this exhaustive rulebook, the LEGO® Group employs highly trained moderators to check each and every message board and gallery posting. Just as we demand exceptionally high safety standards for our toys, we do the same for our digital products, striving to protect children from unsuitable material and unwelcome behavior. All of this has established the LEGO® Groups digital collective as a benchmark in safe online experiences for children.
Using the LEGO Life App
To get started, there are a few things you need to know about the LEGO Life app.
Parent or Caregiver's Permission
Your child will need a parent or caregiver's permission to create a LEGO ID account. (This account can also be used to access other LEGO games and apps).) This is simple, after you create your LEGO ID, the email you register with will receive a confirmation email. Just confirm to unlock your account for full access.
TIP: Once you confirm your email - you may need to log out of your account and re-log back in in order to get full access. I kept getting a pop-up saying I needed my parents to approve even after I clicked the confirmation button. Simply logging out and logging back in did the trick!
- The chance to buddy-up with LEGO minifigures by following and engaging with their profiles.
- The opportunity to design awesome LEGO minifigures for their profile; and
- Join different fan groups and get the latest LEGO news for the stuff they love.
Things to Know
- LEGO® Life is suitable for those 5 years and older, but kids and tweens aged between 8-12 are likely to enjoy it the most. (From this, it sounds like no adult LEGO fans.)
- Theres no third-party advertising. LEGO marketing content and information is served, for instance LEGO news about LEGO sets and other LEGO games, in hope of inspiring childrens creative play.
- As part of the LEGO ID sign-up, they will collect two pieces of information: the country in which you live and your email address.
- LEGO will utilize your personal information and anonymous data to manage your account and to provide a safe, contextualized, and excellent LEGO® Life experience.
LEGO Life app was this week's feature on APPY Monday - (you are subscribed, right?? Click here to subscribe! Just do it.)
Download the LEGO Life App
The LEGO Life app is available on iOS, Android
LEGO Classic Creative Bricks 10692LEGO Star Wars Resistance X-Wing Fighter 75125LEGO Large Creative Box 10697The Lego Ideas Book: Unlock Your ImaginationLEGO DUPLO Creative Play All-in-One-Box-of-Fun 10572, Preschool, Pre-Kindergarten Large Building Block Toys for ToddlersLEGO Dimensions Starter Pack - Xbox 360