Handwriting Without Tears app has been a huge help in our house. Our 2 littles just don’t quite get the wonderful penmanship of that their mother has (I have the worse handwriting.) If your child needs help in the hand writing department, look no further – we have a solution!
Wet Dry Try Handwriting Without Tears App
Handwriting Without Tears is a program you maybe familiar with if you have worked with a school, tutor or occupational therapist with your kid and hand writing. We had used the program thru our OT a few years ago. She had recommended that we download the Wet Dry Try Handing Writing Without Tears app to continue our son’s progress at home.
The Handwriting Without Tears app that we use is called: Handwriting Without Tears: Wet-Dry-Try for Capitals, Numbers & Lowercase and can be found here (in case you are scouring the app store for which one to buy.) It works with your child on teaching the correct way to write their capitals, lowercase and numbers.
I should note – currently, Wet Dry Try app is only available for iOS. It does work amazing on the iPad since it’s similar in size to that of a piece of paper.
Teaching Handwriting With an App
One of my favorite things about the Handwriting Without Tears app is the positive encouragement given thru-out the app. For the demo, I played quite a bit with the app and felt like I was getting a pat on the back every time I wrote my 8 the correct way!
Funny thing, as I was going thru this – I quickly learned that I draw my letters and numbers TOTALLY wrong. As mentioned, my penmanship sucks so this could be of benefit to anyone who wants help with learning the correct way to form your letters and numbers.
Just a tip when starting the learning process on this app. When you go to the letters (either capital or lowercase) or the numbers, choose the HWT ORDER button.This is the Handwriting Without Tears suggested order for learning. This will teach your kids in a different order than the standard A-B-C or 1-2-3 order. This is the easiest order for your kids to learn!
About the Wet-Dry-Try App
The Wet-Dry-Try app is $4.99 – but in my opinion worth it. Here is more about the app from the developer:
Make handwriting practice fun! With Wet-Dry-Try, children learn and practice correct formation habits for writing capitals, numbers, and lowercase letters. The app simulates our Slate Chalkboard and Blackboard with Double Lines and helps children learn handwriting skills in the easiest, most efficient way. The result truly is handwriting without tears!
Practice and Learn Hand Writing on the iPad
Here are the Handwriting Without Tears app features. Not only did our OT recommend this app, but so did our kids’ Kindergarten and First Grade teachers.
- A proven multi-sensory approach teaches children to write letters and numbers with correct habits and without reversals.
- Children can practice letters in any order they choose, or follow the HWT Order, which presents the letters in the proven Handwriting Without Tears® developmental teaching order.
- A personal coach helps children with friendly audio cues to learn formation steps and fix mistakes.
- Student-created avatars let children personalize their learning, and help them easily identify their accounts.
- Each letter has three levels of difficulty that build skills progressively. Master a level and win a star. Earn three stars and win a letter card. Collect them all to win the grand prize!
- The two options for sensitivity allow parents and educators to adjust the writing tolerance depending on each student’s needs.
- The smiley face and Slate Chalkboard frame promotes good handwriting and reading habits for capitals and numbers.
- Lefty-friendly setting lets you adapt horizontal cross-strokes to make their handwriting easier.
- The double lines, modeled after our Blackboard with Double Lines, make it easy to understand where lowercase letters start and end.
If you are a teacher or educator needing classroom usage with the app, purchase the Handwriting Without Tears Classroom edition. This will allow you a classroom license, enabling multiple students will be able to create a profile and save their handwriting progress.
Download the App
Handwriting Without Tears Products
If you are looking for additional handwriting support, outside of an app – check out these Handwriting Without Tears products. These are used in our kids classroom and at OT and can provide great additional help when your littles need assistance with writing.
Handwriting Without Tears SAS Slide Stamp and See Screen, 4Handwriting Without Tears HWT SLT Slate ManipulativeHandwriting Without Tears Letters and Numbers KindergartenHandwriting Without Tears – Get Set For School – My First School Book – Pre-K Activity BookHandwriting Without Tears – Get Set For School – My First School Book – Pre-K Activity BookCan-Do Cursive, Handwriting Without Tears: Cursive for the Older Student Grades 5 and upHandwriting Without Tears Pencils for Little Hands,4 inchesHandwriting Without Tears DAW Double Line Wide Draw and Write NotebookHandwriting Without Tears FC Flip Crayon Set, Multiple Color (Pack of 206)Handwriting Without Tears Printing Power Plus (Printing Power + Kick Start Cursive)Cursive Success Grade 4 (Handwriting Without Tears 2013)Letters and Numbers for Me Grade KHandwriting Without Tears Block Paper – 8 1/2 x 11 inches – Set of 104 Sheets – GrayHandwriting Without Tears My Printing Book – Grade 1Handwriting Without Tears Printing Power Grade 2 (2013)Handwriting Without Tears 1st Grade Printing Teacher’s GuideHandwriting Without Tears WN Double Line Regular Writing Notebook, 0.2The Pencil Grip Original Universal Ergonomic Writing Aid for Righties and Lefties, 6 Count, Assorted Colors (TPG-11106)