Are you Fundraising with Social Media? Tweets, blogs and Facebook are to be applauded for the success of the Red Cross' successful fundraising campaign for Haiti.
Fundraising With Social Media
The most recent number I could find is that the Red Cross has raised over $22,000,000 by having donors donate $10 by texting HAITI to 90999. The simplicity of spreading the word and of actually donating is triggering thousands to react and give.
Here is a list of other non-profits jumping in on the mobile giving campaign for Haiti:
- American Red Cross: Text the word Haiti to 90999 to donate $10
- Yéle Foundation (founded by Wyclef Jean): Text the word Yele to 501501 to donate $5; Text the word Yele10 or YeleTen to 501501 to donate $10.
- Clinton Bush Haiti Fund: Text the word QUAKE to 20222 to donate $10.
- Clinton Foundation Haiti Relief Fund: Text the word Haiti to 20222 to donate $10.
- Salvation Army: Text the word Haiti to 52000 to donate $10.
- UNICEF: Text the word Hope10 or UNICEF to 20222 to donate $10.
- National Religious Broadcasters (NRB): Text the word Haiti to 40579 to donate $10.
- Save the Children Federation: Text the word Save or Safe to 20222 to donate $10.
- World Vision: Text the word Give or World to 20222 to donate $10.
- International Medical Corps: Text the word Haiti to 85944 to donate $10.
- International Rescue Committee: Text the word Haiti to 25383 to donate $5.
- Oxfam America: Text the word Oxfam to 25383 to donate $10.
- Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere: Text the word PP to 25383 to donate $10.
- Americares: Text the word Americares to 25383 to donate $10.
- Habitat for Humanity: Text the word Habitat to 25383 to donate $10.
- MTV telethon: Text the word Give to 25383 to donate $10.
- American Jewish World Service: Text the word AJWS to 25383 to donate $10.
Last year I was involved in a fund raiser for Hoops of Hope. The team at the office spent a day utilizing our online profiles tweeting and posting to Facebook to raise money to help build an Africa school. In the 24 hours we were tweeting, over $4,000 was raised. We only had a handful of us tweeting (5 or so), but it worked - and we exceeded our goal of $1,000.
If you are involved with a non-profit and are not harnessing the power of social media - get in the game. It's not too late. Social media for fundraising will be the new norm. There is money to raise and the best, cheapest way to go viral is by utilizing the power of social media.