By: Posted on Published:
Post may contain affiliate links that help support Digital Mom Blog.
I remember listening to George Strait as a child. Back then, it was cassette tapes – not MP3s. This man is a legend. When Verizon Wireless contacted me a few weeks ago asking if I wanted to attend George Strait’s concert, The Cowboy Rides Away in Dallas – I didn’t even look at the calendar – all I said was YES!
Note: I’ve been a Verizon Wireless customer for the last 4 years, and my husband has been for the last 5 years.
The last few weeks have been a bit crazy. We went on a family road trip to Washington DC. I pulled my back out and wasn’t able to walk for over a week (and am still having issues, UGH.) The husband has been sick, as well as 3 out of 4 kids. Our poor Pug broke 3 toes. Our washer broke. My credit card was stolen. And my beloved Macbook was injured. Oh! and it’s SUMMER!
Crazy, so a night out with George Strait and a few others is what I needed.
This event is pretty epic since King George announced this would be the last concert of his last tour. He may play a few more shows, but as far as tours – this is it.
My sister, Dallas Socials – also attended so we were able to carpool. We used Uber. The ride there was perfect, the ride back is a completely different post. The good news is we made it to the event and had the best concert experience ever.
The Cowboy Rides Away
The Cowboy Rides Away
June 7, 2014
Asleep at the Wheel opened the show. I wasn’t familiar with them, but totally loved their sound.
When I saw the line-up for the final George Strait show – I was overwhelmed – that’s A LOT of amazing talent. How they pulled off the show, was epic. There was not waiting for King George to come out and do his thing. After Asleep at the Wheel it was ALL GEORGE, the whole night – with the guests joining him on stage for duets of his classics. It was amazing to say the least. The artists performed on a revolving stage for all to see. Did I mention how AMAZING the concert was? (yes, overuse of the word – but woah – it was!)
Here is the line-up from the Dallas show:
- George Strait – The one and only!!! And we can’t forget his amazing band Ace in the Hole.
- Jason Aldean – I’m pretty sure he got the loudest applause when on stage (of course, after G.S.)
- Kenny Chesney – I know I should of been paying more attention but had to Google and I was right, he is Renee Zellwegger’s ex
- Eric Church – I really liked Eric Church. Tried to convince a friend sitting near me that he was Adam Levine.
- Sheryl Crow – LONG time favorite, so good to see her perform live and with George!
- Ronnie Dunn – so Ronnie Dunn was suppose to be there I guess, but wasn’t?
- Vince Gill – He looked like a hipster wearing cowboy boots
- Faith Hill – She is absolutely GORGEOUS
- Alan Jackson – Good ol’ Alan Jackson toasted King George farewell on stage
- Miranda Lambert – What a doll! I could see her boots sparkling on stage from the suite.
- Martina McBride – She is NOT who I thought she was. For some reason in my mind she was someone else. Regardless sounded amazing.
- Lee Ann Womack – I think this lady may have a career in her future.
Largest Indoor Concert Ever
104,793 people were in attendance, making George Strait’s last show the LARGEST indoor concert ever. It was crowded getting in. Verizon hooked us up in their suite, which provided the ultimate concert viewing experience. (no seriously!) They thought of everything, from food, drinks and cowboy hats – it was something I’ll never forget.
Thanks Verizon for the EPIC night. Make sure to check out more Verizon events in the Dallas area at VerizonTexas.com.
Mom to 4 kids, Molly Thornberg aka Digital Mom is the blogger-in-chief here at digitalmomblog.com. She likes to keep it real, overshares on her personal Insta-stories, tries her best to show grace and always appreciates a funny meme. Molly appreciates the unique things in life, and is a Ennegagram 7w8.