It’s National Bullying Prevention Awareness Week
Lifetime Moms sent over these stats on bullying. They are MIND BLOWING.
If I thought growing up was hard in the 90’s, what my kids have to go thru doesn’t look fun AT ALL.
Bullying is a problem that affects millions of students of all races and classes. 1 out of 4 kids is bullied and 43% of kids have been bullied while online. Child and teen bullying and cyber-bullying are at an all-time high. Some kids are so tormented that suicide has become an alternative for them. It has everyone worried.
Not just the kids on its receiving end, but the parents, teachers and others who may not understand how extreme bullying can get. Love Our Children USA is working aggressively to prevent these issues and to help the kids and teens affected by it.
- 1 out of 4 kids is bullied.
- 1 out of 5 kids admits to being a bully, or doing some “Bullying.”
- 8% of students miss 1 day of class per month for fear of bullies.
- 43% fear harassment in the bathroom at school.
- 282,000 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month.
- More youth violence occurs on school grounds as opposed to on the way to school.
- Playground statistics – Every 7 minutes a child is bullied. Adult intervention -4% Peer intervention – 11%.
Cyber Bullying Statistics
- 43% of kids have been bullied while online. 1 in 4 have had it happen more than once.
- 35% of kids have been threatened online. Nearly 1 in 5 have had it happen more than once.
- 21% of kids have received mean or threatening e-mail or other messages.
- 58% of kids admit someone has said mean or hurtful things to them online.
- 53% of kids admit having said something mean or hurtful to another person online.
- 58% have not told their parents or an adult about something mean or hurtful that happened to them online.
Have you or your children been the victim of bullying?