Looking to slowly ease back into the work field as a working mom with an hourly job? Worried about work life balance with your family? An hourly job maybe your answer.
Working hourly may give you the flexibility you need to still bring in an income while spending time with your children and maintaining a sane family work life.
While hourly jobs typically do not pay what a salary position will, you may actually end up the same when you take in extra expenses that a salary position may bring, such as child care.
The Best Hourly Jobs For Working Moms
The Chicago Sun Times recently released a list of the top places for an hourly worker – who is a working mom. Here is their list:
- Best Buy
- Bon Secours Richmond Health System
- Capital One Financial
- Cricket Communications
- Marriott International
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
- University of New Mexico Hospitals
- USAA (insurance and investment products)
Mom Works While the Kids Are In School
An ideal scenario for many moms with school age children is to be able to work hours, just while the child is in school. Here are a few options that can help keep your family life work balance with school hours:
- While I can’t find confirmation on this tidbit, a friend had told me that Chick-fil-a hires moms during the afternoon, lunch rush hours and pays well over what the typical fast food joint pays.
- Many schools have administrative positions. I have a few friends that work at the same school as their child, both in roles of teachers and administrative. It ends up being a win for both mom and kid since holidays and hours are the same.
- Mother’s Day Out
- Most Mother’s Day Out programs run from around 9 am till 2 pm, a few days a week. There are numerous programs most likely in your area churches that could provide an additional income while your kids are in school.
- With my first child, I would pick up a few hours every few weeks at the nursery at our church during off hours, when extra church activities were going on. I was able to work with a friend, so actually ended up being fun to catch up every once in a while.